1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Book Club"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Pub' started by rachelsmnc, Jun 19, 2014.

1. rachelsmnc

rachelsmnc Donate 4
    Donator

Hi all! So a few of us were talking in-game chat and said it would be pretty cool if DC had some sort of book club. Of course that would be a hell of a mess to keep up with so we thought about something similar: A thread where people could recommend some good books to read :)
    I'll start!
    I just finished a fascinating autobiography called "Alcatraz #1259", which is about Bill Baker, one of the last remaining inmates of Alcatraz that is still alive today. (He's one of 4, I believe) In the book he discusses his life growing, how he got to Alcatraz and what life was like there. If you're curious about what prison is like, this is a very good read. In fact, it's just a damn good read. I quite enjoyed it.

I also recommend anyone read The Song of Ice and Fire (Aka Game of Thrones if you're not familiar) series because it's been one of my favorites for some time now. American Gods by Neil Gaiman is awesome too, featuring a battle between old gods (I.E Odin, Buddha, etc etc) and the new gods of America. Good stuff!

Hopefully someone will find some good books to read through here, y'all enjoy! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. DoctorTootz

DoctorTootz Daddy
    Donator

Alcatraz #1259 seems like a good book, just searched up some review on it :)

I'm not much of a reader (I only read when I kinda have to) but I did have to read a book for this project in school. And although this book is a tad bit.. how do I put this.. Romantic? Hehe, it's a really good book. The books is called
    The Fault in Our Stars. Really reallly good book, I recommend you read it if you already haven't.

I'm liking this idea, lets get this flowing :D

3. nimexe

nimexe Admin S/P Monitor
    Administrator

Well I can defiantly recommend some good books. But fair warning they are Big books and will take your life till you finish them.
    1. Pillars of the Earth (ken Follet) An excellent read about living in medieval times and the story of the rich, poor and the church. it also has interesting historical fact's about the time period. If you enjoy this book, you will want to read its sequel. World With Out End, another great book that takes place 200 years later.
    2. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (Susanna Clarke) Set in 19th century when Napoleon was trying to conquer the world. Its about magic that only these two people seem to have access to in England. Really good read.
    3. LOTR (J.R.R Tolkien) Do i really need to explain how great these books are. Better than the movies and even more vivid and enthralling then the extended edition movies. (spoiler) if you do read these books, fair warning they might ruin the movies if your a fan.
    3. Watchman (Alan Moore) Yes its a graphic novel, But it is AMAZING graphic novel that was sadly poorly made into a movie.
    4. Eye Of The Needle (Ken Follet) WWII spy novel, very fast paced and exciting.
    5. The Gold Coast ( Nelson Demille) Set on the gold coast of New York, where all the rich people live, only now a very notorious Mob boss has moved in as a the man character is going thru his own mid life crisis.
    6. The Mummy or Ramses the Damned (Anne Rice) Before Anne rice lost her talent for writing and went Christian nutso, She wrote many great books including the Vampire Chronicles, But I have always loved this story. Set in the same Universe but in the early 1900's. It is a very good tale.
    7. The Mayfair Witches (Anne Rice) another great book by anne rice and very entertaining.
    8. TimeLine (Michael Crichton) YES it was made into that crappy movie with Pau Walker (R.I.P), but the Book is nothing like the movie. SO much richer and entertaining then the movie.
    9. The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon) A spanish novel, REALLY REALLY good. A story of a boy who goes to a secret library of Forgotten books and picks out a book that he must protect for the rest of his life. When he reads it he becomes engrossed in its tale and begins to search for the authors other works only to find a great mystery en store for him. If you can read the original text that would be best, sadly i only read english for now and hope it lost nothing in translation.
    I will stop there, I have read more books than I can count. These are the Books that came to me as I was writing. If you read these and enjoy, don't hesitate to ask for others. Most of the Arthur's I have mentioned have great libraries of work.
    10. DARK Tower series (stephen King) Ya , I really don't need to explain how good this book is. The Stand is another great one that is referenced in the Dark Tower Series.

Sorry a trailer for new season of the dome came on my tv and the Dark Tower just popped in my head.
    Don't forget when starting a new book, always have a bottle of water, Bottle of red wine (my personal fav) and a good snack set aside for when your tummy starts to rumble. Because if your like me, you forget your alive and just read till your head is tipsy and your eyes can't see straight. So having a good snack and drink near by is always a plus.
    Nimexe

4. rachelsmnc

rachelsmnc Donate 4
    Donator

Nim, I read quite fast. I read both of the books I described in less than 24 hours. I read the last Harry Potter book in 8. I simply adore big books. All of the books you suggested sound awesome, I'll definitely write them down and see if I can find them!

Doctor- I have read that book and I loved it! It was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of John Green :)

#4 rachelsmnc, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  5. nimexe

nimexe Admin S/P Monitor
    Administrator

LOL good I also read fast. Most books I finish with in same amount of time, not including the real life breaks that occur, work, school, cooking. Sadly I have tried cooking and Reading and the book paid the price. So the only non stop reading sessions i have are all nighters.

6. rachelsmnc

rachelsmnc Donate 4
    Donator

Yeah, real life breaks also get in the way of my reading time as well, especially college. I've pulled all nighters reading as well xD I started LOTR but college got in the way of that..

7. nimexe

nimexe Admin S/P Monitor
    Administrator

yes college. I have not read as many books since enrolling. luckily i finally finish in december! Altho i already have a list of books I'm going to read in August, during my next break.

8. Worldofpain

Worldofpain Donate 4
    Donator

Aw man, I'm going to have to check out American Gods. I have also read Pillars of the earth and World without end. Those are 2 of my favorite books. I just finished reading the entire Dark tower series and I am currently reading the Song of Ice and Fire books.

Nim kinda stole my favorite books to suggest. Here's one for now.

Dark Light (Engines of Light)
    by Ken MacLeod.
    The Second Sphere is thousands of light years away from Earth - if Earth still exists. For Matt Cairns and the cosmonauts of the Bright Star, this distant corner of the galaxy is their new home. But the Second Sphere is also home to other civilisations, lifted from their worlds by a race of god-like aliens. On Croatan, two of these civilisations live a precarious co-existence, separated by eons of technological advance. The arrival of the Bright Star is an event that may trigger disaster, for this is the first human-crewed starship to arrive at the ancient colony. And all the time, hidden among the stars,

9. Worldofpain

Worldofpain Donate 4
    Donator

Yea, once I get into a book it don't tend to stop until I've read them all. I went through the whole Dark tower series in about 2 weeks.

10. Worldofpain

Worldofpain Donate 4
    Donator

Rachel, If you like big books read The Pillars of the Earth and World without end. They are really long books.

11. cunningdevil

cunningdevil Head Admin & Web Staff
    Head Admin

Try reading "War & Peace" by Tolstoy... And if you can - try reading it in russian, it is the most complicated book ever...
    I simply don't know anyone that can read past 100th page of the first part, without falling asleep (Even my 2 russian teachers, who have a PhD in Russian Literature - everyone just gets knocked out)

12. Worldofpain

Worldofpain Donate 4
    Donator

I couldn't get past the first word in Russian. That's not my type of book anyways.

13. cunningdevil

cunningdevil Head Admin & Web Staff
    Head Admin

haha, lol :p
    i fell asleep on the 19th page

14. Rider

Rider Long Lost
    Donator

I get into a book, then I don't top until my face falls flat in the book. And what's really terrible is sometimes I wreak the book! Not usually though thankfully! Er... I'm gunna have to think of a book in a bit. I'll also have to read some of the books you guys have mentioned!

NOT a recommendation:
    Math Links 9
    It is a terrible book! And it actually teaches you something! It's worse when you have a teacher read it to you, and then expand on the subject, only to be proven wrong by his cleaver students! :p

#14 Rider, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  15. Samus129

Samus129 Donate 4
    Donator

books? do people still read them i used to when i was your now i tried to read the fall of reach a halo book i stuck after 10 pages.

16. BlaqRain

BlaqRain The Dark Lord
    Donator

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini .
    have the whole collection , read it years ago and still do from time to time
    it has one of the best stories i've read in a book *
    The pearl being still at the top*
    You should start off with its first book

Eragon - as this is the reason you'll read it. it builds up the story.
    as this is the first book, you need to read it for you to understand
    most of the story from the sequel books.

Eldest - is the second 2nd book in the series , it's the continuation of eragon.
    this clears up some questions you had with eragon, so its worth the read.

Brisingr - The 3rd and in my opinion the best book out of the series.
    this story continues eragon and saphira's adventure.
    as same as eldest, it continues the story further. but this one
    has the most impact of all the books. in this part instead
    of reading it as Eragon, the story is told as a third person.
    which made it a hundred times more interesting for me.

Inheritance - the fourth and final book in the series. common to all the
    final books. this sequel depicts a much more dramatic story
    in which will make you think of how you enjoyed reading
    the 3 other books. its the best end to the series the author
    could have done.

So remember
    The Inheritance Cycle if you see it on sale, BUY IT!
    you'll not regret that decision. this book is 10/10.

#16 BlaqRain, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  17. BlaqRain

BlaqRain The Dark Lord
    Donator

Watchmen , also read this book. its really a damn good story if you haven't watched the movie.
    as
    Nimexe said .. the movie is a big shit. it totally ruins the story.

Dark Tower Series - haven't read it. but since nimexe recommended it, i might have to cower
    around the book store to find it.

this is great , i have things to do again in my day offs. thanks

#17 BlaqRain, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  18. Dragon Hitman

Dragon Hitman Donate 1
    Donator

I like the book called Oedipus Rex. It's pretty much about the storyline after the sphinx. I also liked Monument Eleven, it's a apocalypse book. The book The Fountain Head was also interesting, along with The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy. I really liked that series. I think The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy is a book many people should read as it is very funny but also sci-fi.